Well for all the foreign nationals visiting India there are few points that you must strictly adhere to if you do not want to turn your Indian picnic into a nightmare. Women travelers should be extra cautious while visiting India. Crime against women is a norm in India.
- Never ever fall into a trap if some one tries desperately to befriend you.
- Stay clear of secluded spots.
- Do not travel or party late nights. Call of a night at max 11:00 pm. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Most guides and travel agents will try to rip off so cross check with your fellow Indian travelers with the correct fares and prices of commodities.
- Be extra cautious about your baggage and guard against even children, as in the garb of their innocent looks they will make do with your booty.
- Stay away from cheap accommodation. In the past 3-4 years there have been many instances of rape by the staffers of these cheap hotels (or motels as they are called in the US).
- For female travelers, it is better if they have a male company otherwise it is very dangerous to tour India. Also for the female travelers, despite the hot weather it is always advisable to wear clothes that cover most of your body as it eliminate any unwarranted attention from some (in fact most) Indian men with hight testosterone drives.
- Drink only bottled water. Some good one are BISLERI, AQUAFINA, KINGFISHER etc. Insist on these two as other ones are cheap duplicates that compromise both on your money and health.
- Do not try the street food because only Indian people have the digestive system to filter this stuff.
- Lastly if you are traveling with your teen aged children (especially girls), make a point that they are with you all the time. The case in point is the molestation of British girls by some Keralite hooligans on the new years night 2008 and the more recent Scarlette Keeling murder case.
Lastly and most importantly, follow your intuition and gut feeling because even the airports are not safe in India. This is proven by the fact that cases of molestation are common place at the IGI airport New Delhi.
Happy touring India